History of GenerationS
Starting from August 2021, GenerationS became a part of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, continuing to strengthen and expand its positions in Russian and international markets:
- “Global Partners Program”, the first export acceleration program aimed at helping Moscow startups enter foreign markets, was launched together with Moscow Export Center
A number of corporate acceleration programs were launched for MKB (Credit Bank of Moscow), SIBUR, Russian Railways, as well as targeted project scouting programs for Alfa Bank and Beeline
The corporate line of products has been expanded
An edition of the annual “Alumni Map” report was issued
GenerationS has been recognized with two International Innovation Awards:
In April - The Global Outlook Awards in the category “Outstanding Contribution to Innovation Ecosystem Development - Russia 2021”
- In June – Cosmopolitan's The Daily Business Awards 2021 in the “Best Practices in Ecosystem Acceleration - Russia 2021” category
GenerationS switched from the usual offline format to online due to the world’s situation. A number of online events and initiatives, which the accelerator usually held offline, marked the beginning and mid-2020.
- 5 programs to search for innovative solutions were held in online format with Uralchem, ChelPipe Group, Russian Railways, Lenta and the Accounts Chamber of the Russian Federation, as well as an acceleration module within the framework of the educational intensive on artificial intelligence Archipelago 20.35
- The geography of startups in 2020 included 164 Russian cities and about 55 foreign countries
- In 2020 1479 applications were submitted in total where more than 400 applications were from international projects
- Launch of the first educational course “Deep Dive in Corporate Innovations” with three educational modules and international certification. More than 40 people have successfully completed the program
- 8 international expert online sessions, as well as over 15 profile webinars were held
- 4 analytical reports “GenerationS 2020 Alumni Map”, “Adapting to a New Reality: Trends, Technologies, Prospects”, “Innovation Handling Guidebook” and “Industrial Acceleration of Startups in a New Reality: Key Changes and Practical Tips” were released
- Pilot tests are also being conducted in 2020 with the winning startups
In 2020, GenerationS received two prestigious international awards:
- Ekaterina Petrova, Director of GenerationS, received The Stevie Awards in the «Most Innovative Woman of the Year» category
- GenerationS was among the winners of 2020 ITU Innovation Challenges in the «Ecosystem best practice challenge» category
GenerationS continues to strengthen its position in the international market and works in partnership with the largest Russian and international companies:
- GenerationS entered the TOP 5 of the best state accelerators in the world according to UBI Global. Experts noted the exceptional achievements in the development of the ecosystem for startups, the attractiveness of the acceleration program and the success of its graduates
- 4 joint accelerators launched with partners. The corporate clients for acceleration were such companies as Enel, State Transport Leasing Company (GTLK), PepsiCo and Ferring Pharmaceuticals
GenerationS strengthened the focus on corporates. Instead of industry tracks, GenerationS launched specialized corporate accelerators with dedicated selection criteria and startup development programs.
- A line of corporate accelerators tailored to specific partners needs
- Acceleration programs for international corporations
- Pilot launches and project implementations
GenerationS became an instrument of National Technological Initiative (NTI) workgroups to find innovative initiatives for their roadmaps. The market-specific workgroups also selected projects within certain industry tracks.
- 70% of startups achieve sales after graduating from the acceleration program
- 27% of the startups graduating from GenerationS attract investment
- 73 startups are now expanding their businesses on an international scale
- 25 startups participated in international acceleration programs after graduating from GenerationS
- 3 specialized NTI workgroup nominations emerged: HealthNet, MariNet, and NeuroNet
GenerationS secured its position as the largest platform to develop corporate acceleration in Russia. About 20 of the largest companies and development institutions became partners with the program.
- Federal platform to develop corporate acceleration
- The number of applications from startups increased by 78%
- For the first time, we organized a pre-accelerator – a development program for early-stage startups
- 69 alumni are working with corporations
The launch of first line of corporate accelerators. The first industry track partners were corporations that wanted to implement innovations in their business processes. Startup participants had an opportunity to launch pilots together with the largest players on the market.
- A platform to develop corporate acceleration instruments
GenerationS began to specialize by industry. We became the first multi-industry accelerator in Russia, and one of the first in Europe. The first industry tracks were: Industrial, BiotechMed, Cleantech, and IT, within the national economic development priorities
- The first multi-industry accelerator in Russia
RVC organized the first tech startup accelerator under the GenerationS brand, which immediately received widespread response from entrepreneurs. There were 1,593 participating teams that received tuition for the basics of entrepreneurship and acquired financial management and teamwork skills.
- The first Russian accelerator at the federal level
- Education on technological entrepreneurship
A competition for tech business plans was launched in Russia in 2003. The concepts of partner competition — MIT $100K and MassChallenge were the foundations for our project